Saturday, July 5, 2014

I chose olive and black for my colors in the znetshows.com summer challenge called Day/Night. When I picked them I expected to use them together in my pieces but the beads had other ideas. I wanted my daytime piece to be summery and fun. Sea glass usually makes me think of the beach so that was where my design idea started. I used the olive sea glass with some aqua sea glass that I already had received from Znet. I wire wrapped  links of the two colors using the olive rondelles and sand dollars with aqua shells. I added beach charms in blue and green to enhance the beach idea. I selected a lampworked bead with a fish on it as the focal. I put an aqua pearl on either side of it and used aqua sea glass teardrops to finish it. Above the lampworked bead is and aqua irregular shaped sea glass and an olive triangular round with an aqua pearly square for an accent. I used an olive sea glass fish on either side of the focal. A royal blue sea glass toggle finishes the necklace. My sister really liked it and she is now the owner of this necklace.
Night time calls for elegance. Black and gold feel  classic and elegant to me. I was attracted to the black sea glass tubes right away. I used black crystal rondelles and gold 4mm bicones to accent the beautiful black sea glass. The center is a gold curved tube. Hanging from the tube is the focal which is a one of earring that came from my dear friend Judy who passed away earlier this year. I glued it to Lacy's stiff stuff and embroidered around it with gold seed beads. I found the toggle in a bargain basket  a while back and it seemed to fit this necklace perfectly. I would wear this necklace proudly on an evening out. Please check out all the wonderful items that Zentshows has to offer at their link above also please go to  znetshows.blogspot.com which  will link you to the summer issue of Creative Spark magazine so you can see what other designers made for this challenge.



20 comments:

  1. These are really pretty Becky, both very cute and wearable, Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Tammie, I am glad that you like my designs.

      Delete
  2. You definitely nailed the day and night looks. Love them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Renetha, I just let the beads tell me what they want to be.

      Delete
  3. oh my! well I love them both, but that second one is a real knock out! wowza would that look stunning on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Cynthia, I value your wonderful comments.

      Delete
  4. Love the olive and green, definitely watery which is what I associate with summertime. Great focal too. And what a clever way to use that earring in the night time necklace! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx It always feels great to have other jewelry artists like my work.

      Delete
  5. Nice work. I love the black piece. I love the back story involving your dear departed friend. Definitely a special piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Chris, yes I will treasure my black necklace as a remembrance of her.

      Delete
  6. Oh how pretty - both of them. I can feel the salty air on my skin in that first necklace and the cool night air in the black one - super!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shel, I like how you describe my necklaces. Thanx for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Becky...your necklaces are so beautiful! I can totally imagine the first one on the neck of a beautiful mermaid...and the second one is so sleek and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Donetta, I am glad that you like my designs. I hadn't thought about a mermaid wearing it but that is an interesting idea. Elegant is what I was going for in the second necklace and it is good to hear that you think that I achieved it.

      Delete
  9. I love your beachy-fun necklace and your nighttime necklace is so elegant & meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine, I appreciate your comments. When the challenge was nighttime I knew that I wanted black. It always seems more dressy to me than other colors. I am pleased that you like my designs.

      Delete
  10. Becky, I love getting a bit more background on your pieces like you provided here. The pairing of the blue and green is gorgeous and has a perfect summery-beachy feel. Meanwhile, your nighttime piece is absolutely elegant. You met this challenge with a vengeance and really delivered. Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Hope. I am really pleased that you like my designs. It feels wonderful to have someone of your standing like my designs. I did do earrings for the daytime piece but they are not in the pic. I still plan to make earrings for the nighttime necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your fun beachy daytime necklace, Becky! Great job all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Lisa, I am pleased with how that one turned out also. I am glad to finally be back beading again after dealing with family stuff for over a month. It feels good to have other bead artists like my designs.

      Delete