Friday, November 2, 2012


I joined in the Humble Beads Blog hop put on by Heather Powers of .www.HumbleBeads.Com. And today is the reveal day. I thoroughly enjoyed this challenge. I used all of the beads that she sent except 1 gray round, the double leaf charm, and the silk strand. All that I added was a larger leaf stamping, seed beads, jump rings, and brass wire. I bezeled the disc branch bead with brick stitch and peyote, then I attached it to my larger leaf stamping with seed bead loops. I attached the 2 small glass flowers at the tip of the leaf. The branch I tried to drill, but even with a diamond bit I was not successful, so I wire wrapped it with brass. I made 3 links with the branch rondelles and each is different. When I first laid out the beads I put the three aqua glass rondelles face up & I liked them that way, but I wasn't sure how to make them sit face up. I made a long link with them but I didn't like it so I ended up making a wire triangle with 2 loops and attaching the rondelles to it with brass wire. Three of the bicolor glass wavy beads are each separate links. I made a spiral rope using similar colored seed beads to go around the neck and finished it with the bead caps. I made my necklace asymmetrical with the clasp on the side, because I think that they are easier to clasp that way and I like how it looks. I have only made a few asymmetrical necklaces. On the left side one link is made with 2 gray glass rounds and a branch rondelle. The next link is 2 brown pearls and a branch rondelle. The link closest to the center is made with the 2 aqua matte glass ovals separated by an aqua crystal rondelle. All of the links are attached with 2 brass jump rings to make them more secure. I am not totally satisfied with how the disc bead is attached to the leaf because the bezel is pulled a little funny so I will change that. I hope you enjoyed my challenge Idea. Thanx Heather for challenging me.The link above will let you see the other participants.

10 comments:

  1. What a fun mix of techniques with the beading Becky! Awesome! The focal with the beaded branch layered on the leaf is so fun. Thank you for joining in the hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Heather. I can always pick your beads out of someones design. I have been wanting to try them for a while and this hop was perfect. I wanted to do something different than I had seen in other peoples work. I hadn't seen anyone bezel them with seed beads so I tried it and I'm pleased with the results. I will be buying more of your beads. I posted to my blog yesterday morning and then left for a show that I had today so I didn't get to hop until now. Thanx for including me.

      Delete
  2. Fun necklace, I am not a seed beader so always love the bezel. Different approach always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see the beading to give the focal a whole different feel. Love the clasp at the side of a necklace - I agree that it looks and functions so well that way. You did a great job with asymmetry that is still balanced.

    I too was wondering if I could put holes in the branch. I like the length of it for a necklace. I left it out of my bracelet in the end. Fun to see your interpretation.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx I'm just starting out blog hopping too so it means a lot to me to hear praise for my designs.

      Delete
  4. I truly admire those who work with seed beads. I love the bezel that you created! And I am a big fan of asymmetry as I think it makes for a more interesting design. I don't know if you have one of those little screw hole punch contraptions, but that is how I poke a hole in those branches. The metal is soft enough to go through and it is easier to control than the drill. Great job! So happy to be hopping with you!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Erin. The tip about the punch is great. I'm putting one on my Christmas list.

      Delete
  5. I love the bezel that you made, so effective!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanx. It was fun to make the bezel. I knew what I was going to do as soon as I started playing with Heathers wonderful beads.

    ReplyDelete